Can I ask the ORS to review my child support order?

In Utah, you are able to ask the Office of Recovery Services (ORS) to review your child support order, according to the agency's website. If you live in Salt Lake City, or any other part of the state, there are a number of situations you may find yourself in which make you want to have your child support order modified.

For example, if you are facing financial hardships after recently losing your job and can no longer afford to make child support payments, the ORS may adjust your order and lower the amount of support you owe, which could be very helpful. After all, failing to pay child support can carry serious consequences. On the other hand, if your child's non-custodial parent recently had a significant increase in the amount of income they receive, you may be able to have their child support obligations raised.

It is important to keep in mind that the ORS doesn't adjust child support orders if the other parent can't be found or your youngest child is going to turn 18 in less than one year. However, if circumstances have changed substantially, your child support order has been in place for more than three years and the updated award amount would be either 10 percent lower or greater than what it is at this time, the ORS may ask for your child support order to be modified.

Please remember, this piece was written to provide information regarding the modification of child support orders and is not legal advice.


Turn to Just Law, Where Family Matters most.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Contact Us Today