Notice: Due to COVID-19, we will be conducting all consultations either via video chat, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

Can I receive child support from an out-of-state parent?

If you are a child's custodial parent, you may have a number of concerns, from parenting plans to financial matters such as covering the cost of medical care or school supplies. As a result, it is essential to address any legal issues pertaining to your child properly, especially those involving child support. If you live in Salt Lake City, you should familiarize yourself with the laws in Utah to make sure you receive support that you are entitled to.

According to the Office of Recovery Services' site, you are able to collect child support from an out-of-state parent under Utah law. If the other parent of your child lives elsewhere, the ORS will ask the state they reside in to collect child support or give the employer of the parent a notice regarding the withholding of his or her wages. Although the laws are different from one state to the next, federal laws concerning child support apply to all states. After the other state takes over, the ORS will not have control over the child support case.

If you are supposed to be receiving child support or are unsure of whether or not you are entitled to support, you should closely evaluate your situation. After all, raising children can be incredibly challenging and parents should not have to struggle with child support matters.

Please remember that while this information was written to shed light on collecting child support from parents who live in other states, it is not legal advice.


Turn to Just Law, Where Family Matters most.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Contact Us Today