Notice: Due to COVID-19, we will be conducting all consultations either via video chat, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

What happens if the custodial parent receives state assistance?

If you are required to pay child support, a number of circumstances may arise which make you unsure of what to do next. For example, if your income changes significantly, you may have questions concerning the modification of your child support order. Or, if you are a non-custodial parent in Salt Lake City and your child's other parent recently started to receive assistance from the state of Utah, you may be wondering how this could affect your child support obligations.

According to the Office of Recovery Services, families who receive public assistance are also given child support services from the state. As a result, if you owe child support to a family receiving assistance, you are required to make payments to the state. If you fail to make the necessary payments to the state of Utah, the amount you owe will accumulate and be considered a debt which must be repaid.

If you are unsure of whether or not your child's custodial parent receives assistance from the state, it is pivotal to find out immediately and make sure you receive credit for child support payments, since payments must be made to the state instead of the parent (if the parent receives public assistance). If you made payments to the parent, you could be credited by sending evidence to the ORS, such as a receipt or canceled check.

Please bear in mind that this piece was written to provide information on child support and is not an alternative to legal counsel.


Turn to Just Law, Where Family Matters most.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Contact Us Today