Notice: Due to COVID-19, we will be conducting all consultations either via video chat, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

Can I get credit for in-kind support payments?

If you are a parent who owes child support, it is important to understand both your rights and your responsibilities. Covering child support can be difficult, but it is vital to provide children with support they depend on and avoid becoming delinquent. If you live in Salt Lake City, or elsewhere in Utah, you may be able to get credit for making other types of payments rather than cash child support payments.

According to the Office of Recovery Services, there are a number of different types of payments noncustodial parents may be able to get credit for, which are known as in-kind support. If you had an in-kind arrangement with your child's custodial parent that was filed in court, or if you were asked to make a home payment as an alternative to making a cash child support payment, the ORS may give you credit.

From in-kind support to cash child support, it is vital to ensure that you understand and abide by your obligations. After all, the consequences of owing back child support can be severe, from facing arrest and steep fines to spending time in prison. However, if you are experiencing hardships or have become unable to continue making child support payments, you should evaluate your choices right away. For example, you may be able to lessen the burden by modifying your child support order.

Please understand that this post was written to provide useful information concerning in-kind support and should not be taken as a substitute for legal advice.


Turn to Just Law, Where Family Matters most.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Contact Us Today