Notice: Due to COVID-19, we will be conducting all consultations either via video chat, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

Utah mother succeeds in gaining child custody of daughter

Not all parents are able to properly care for their children. Some parents are just leaving childhood themselves, and are not prepared for the arrival of a child, especially if they are single. In such cases, many parents decide that it is in the best interests of the child to have another family member retain custody. Later on, as a parent's situation improves, they may choose to seek child custody and take on the official role of parent.

One Utah mother has succeeded in being awarded physical custody of her five-year-old daughter, who lived in another state. The child had been in the care of her paternal grandparents for several years after her father was unable to care for her; the father was awarded custody after he divorced her mother. However the mother was able to prove to the judge that she now has the means to care for the child.

The grandparents, however, are planning to appeal the judge's ruling. Part of their objection lies over the fact that the child has no relationship with the mother and therefore, the sudden change of home and family will likelytraumatize her. The other objection is the fact that the girl's new stepfather was found guilty of child abuse, in relation to his own child, and he lost legal custody of that child.

While the judge did hand over the child to her mother immediately upon her ruling, this is a child custody case that is likely to continue on for some time until the grandparents have exhausted all their legal options. Hopefully the mother and the grandparents decide to work together for the well-being of the child.


Turn to Just Law, Where Family Matters most.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Contact Us Today