Notice: Due to COVID-19, we will be conducting all consultations either via video chat, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

International custody dispute keeps mother and daughter in Brazil

While countless families in Utah and across the country may be all too familiar with the trials and tribulations often associated with divorce and custody disputes, hopefully only few know what it's like to have such issues play out from another country. Unfortunately for one family, a major child custody battle is forcing an American mother and daughter out of the U.S. indefinitely. 

Several factors seem to be keeping details regarding the international case scarce, but the American consulate is apparently working with the mother, according to Brazil's U.S. Embassy. Furthermore a U.S. federal judge is appointed to the case. Beyond that, representatives from the mother's home state are said to be coordinating efforts with the U.S. State Department to arrange for the mother and daughter's return. However, the woman's family claims that little is being done to help. 

The mother and daughter first left for Brazil in late May and have been there ever since. At the beginning of June, Brazilian federal police allegedly confiscated the passports of the woman and her 6-year-old daughter after the child’s father filed a request through the court system. He claims that he was denied visitation time with his daughter even though that was the purpose of their trip, and that he simply wants to see her. However, the mother supposedly changed her plans to meet her ex-husband after learning he planned to seek custody of their child.

The mother and her family are using social media outlets to spread awareness of their situation. It is unclear if any arrangements are planned to allow the ex-husband to see his daughter.


Turn to Just Law, Where Family Matters most.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Contact Us Today